Jan 26, 2012

Developing Standards for SBG

One of the most difficult things that I've had to deal with this year is trying to figure out a set of standards to use for chemistry. As I was preparing last summer, I wrestled with our state standards (which, at the time, seemed too "big") and the-slightly-less-daunting learning targets for each (series of) lessons that would be taught.

I spent quite a bit of time reading through lots of SBG tips and ideas, but I was still having a hard time wrapping my head around how it would look for my class. I tried grouping targets by topic (such as "atomic structure", or "chemical reactions") and used a lot of Jason Buell's structure for designing rubrics (or topic scales, as he calls them) and set up checklists similar to what Mylene had done.  When all was said and done, I went about 3 weeks into the year before realizing that the grouping I had done and all of the rubrics I had created were not working the way I wanted them to - so I scrapped them and started over1.

My intentions were to fully use SBG this year, but the initial setback (without much time to gather the pieces) made it difficult to move forward. I have been utilizing learning goals (targets) for each section/unit and making the targets clear and assessments based on those targets. However, the big ideas (standards?2) are being loosely strung along while we plod through the year and not as clearly tied to the targets as I would like them to be. I'm hoping that by the start of our 3rd trimester in a few weeks, I will be able to have a bit more structure to end the year on a high note.

As our district moves forward with our SBG implementation plan, we are meeting with all of the other chemistry teachers tomorrow to finish developing our standards for next year. I'm hoping that this collaboration will give me a better sense of the "big idea"-"learning target" connection and make it a much easier transition to full SBG next year, and I will have a later post that details what we come up with.

[1] Although at first I felt as though I had wasted a ton of time by doing this, I've come to realize that I learned a lot about how to design useful rubrics through this process - even though I didn't use the rubrics I created.

[2]  I haven't settled on the preferred verbiage just yet (standards? targets? objectives? blah?) but I usually think of standards as being the "big ideas".

2 comments:

  1. Amen and way to perservere overall!! The whole SBG thing is a huge change for a lot of us, I think, so major props for putting in the time, realizing it wasn't quite what you wanted, and being willing to change. It's teachers like you who inspire all of us to keep doing out best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Anne! It definitely is a huge change, and I think no matter where you are in teaching it will come with some frustrations - we just have to remember to keep figuring it out and making it work!

      Delete