May 10, 2012

Google Docs & Forms

With Dhaivyd talking about the end of the 5TTT timeline, I realize that I need to play a bit of catch-up with my updates on my tech tools. Fortunately, I've got a bit of experience with Google Docs, and I've already been playing around with Google Forms.

Tool #2: Google Docs
I've used Google Docs a number of times for student projects. It is quite convenient for students to share their progress with me (as well as each other), to be able to access it easily from outside of class and for me to efficiently leave them feedback. As Colin had also noted, it is much more streamlined for turning projects in without the worry of losing things. Most recently, students put together some research on the different types of energy alternatives to fossil fuels. Here are some examples of student work via Google Docs:

Student Research 1
Student Research 2
Student Presentation


Tool #3: Google Forms
After the science lab demo gone wrong over at MGJH back in December, I have been a part of  a district-wide group of science teachers that have been discussing how to modify our policies in order to prevent another incident like that from occurring in our district in the future. One of the things that we decided was that any new demo that a teacher would like to add to their curriculum that involves hazardous (i.e. corrosive, combustible, or volatile) chemicals must approved by your building's CHO (chemical hygiene officer) who then works with the teacher and the other CHOs in the district to approve the demo or deem it not safe for school. As the CHO here at Park Center, I thought a Google Form would be a perfect way for a teacher to easily submit a demo for approval, and also create a simple, digital record of what the demo is in order to quickly share it with other CHOs in the district.

Hazardous Demo Approval Form

For anyone that is not a science teacher, this doesn't have much impact on you. To be perfectly honest, most of the demos that are done in our science classes don't involve any hazardous chemicals, and I would be surprised if there were many more that are added to our curriculum. But if/when there are, I'll be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment